1. NCHCA is exploring the idea of offering a central job posting capability on our website for members’ use. Please let the Association office know whether you think this service would be of any benefit to you and your company by emailing email@example.com at your earliest convenience.
2. We are looking for feedback on Bring your Child to Work Day being held in November for all Grade 9 students. We are wondering if your company is planning on having alot of grade 9 students and whether the association should be organizing something as a group. Please let us know what your thoughts are by emailing them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
3.City of Ottawa Lobbyist Registry Comes into Effect September 1, 2012. As of September 1, 2012, anyone lobbying City Council or City Staff is required to register with the Lobbyist Registry and disclose lobbying activities by identifying the subject matter, who they are lobbying for, the individual they lobbied, the method of communication and the date.
The Registry focuses on those individuals representing a financial or business interest, as well as trade unions and labour associations. It includes not just paid and voluntary unpaid lobbyists, but also anyone who is an employee, partner or sole proprietor and who lobbies on behalf of their own employer, business or organization.
While the National Capital Heavy Construction Association supports the transparency aspects of the Lobbyist Registry, we as an association want to ensure that any members approaching the city, on behalf of the NCHCA register any lobbying activities.
The association is currently working on a backgrounder that will be sent to all members concerning the registry. In the meantime, if you have any questions, please contact Dale Harley, NCHCA Executive Advisor at 613-882-5684 or email@example.com
The Ottawa Business Journal has also covered the lobby register. The link for their article is http://www.obj.ca/Local/City-Hall/2012-08-31/article-3065064/City-lobbyist-registry-set-to-launch/1
4. The kick-off for the 2013 Specifications Review Meeting is scheduled for September 13 at Taggart Construction @ 9:00 am. Please forward any comments/concerns to Perry Crozier @ firstname.lastname@example.org
5. The City Liaison and the Mayor’s Breakfast Series meetings will resume again on September 21st. Bob Paulson, RCMP Commissioner is the guest speaker. The subsequent meetings are scheduled for Tuesday, October 23 and Thursday, November 22nd.
6. We are proud to mention that at the 12th Annual Mayor’s Charity Golf Tournament, the NCHCA foursome won the tournament. Way to go, Dennis Colautti, Tim Maisonneuve, Perry Crozier and Steve Goodman!
7. 2012 NCHCA bursary awards were given to the receipants at this year’s Manhole Open at the Greyhawk Golf Course. The winners were as follows:
Margot Lederman (Harley House Bursary for the highest grades)
Ryan Kelly (Robert Kimberly Founders Bursary for financial need)
Jamie Barcley (NCHCA Bursary for industry related award)
8. President’s cup is being held at the Marsh’s Golf Course on September 19th.
9. The 2012 Fall Dinner Dance is being held at The Westin hotel, on November 10. The theme for this year’s event is Country and Western. Watch for details online shorty. N.B. Once the details have been forwarded to the membership,room reservations will have to been made promptly in order to ensure our block of rooms.
10. Please see the OCA website for their list of fall training course @ http://www.oca.ca/training/ AND the following link for the registration form for the Construction WSIB & Safety Forum on October 18th being held at the Hampton Inn, http://www.oca.ca/docs/notices/Safety%20WSIB%20Forum.pdf