1. Pothole Open is almost full once again! This year’s tournament is being held at Greyhawk Golf Course, on Tuesday, August 16th. A complimentary bbq lunch will be served from 11:00 am to 12:00 pm, proceeded by a shotgun at noon. Sponsorship opportunities are still available for anyone who is interested in supporting this event.
2. Reminder that all members that our Fall Dinner Dance is on Saturday, November 12th at the Brookstreet hotel. This year’s dance is a 70’s theme. Please bring this home to your partners/wives!!!
3. Thank you to all the participants for submitting their applications for our 2011 bursary program. 20 applications were received this year. Bursary award winners will be announced shortly.
4. As part of our strategic planning exercise, the National Capital Heavy Construction Association has contracted Harley House Consultants Inc. to undertake a survey of NCHCA members. The results of the membership survey will be used to assist the executive in lobbying efforts with the City of Ottawa, as well as with the provincial and federal governments, improving our training and recruitment efforts, as well as enhancing our social and networking events. In addition, the survey results will be used to increase public awareness and support of our industry. Our ultimate goal is to increase the amount of money invested in infrastructure to improve the City’s standard of living and prosper as an industry. Please only complete one survey per Member Company. If you have any questions concerning this confidential membership survey, please contact Alison Hogan, NCHCA Coordinator at 613-821-5940, or Dale Harley at 613-882-5684. Please mail surveys to 322 Dargavel Road, RR#3 Elgin Ontario K0G 1E0.
5. Our work with the Greater Ottawa Truckers Association, Ottawa Police, and West end Councillors El-Chantiry, Wilkinson and Qadri to develop best practices for quarry operators and dump truck drivers continued throughout July. GOTA will be developing a training program for independent drivers in conjunction with the NCHCA. Best practices will be finalized shortly and circulated to all operators. Our thanks to everyone who has participated in this task force. A special thanks goes to R. W. Tomlinson limited and Karson’s for organizing tours of their quarries and job sites.
6. NCHCA is currently ordering industrial labels for our Association with our new logo on them. Bumper stickers, Truck Decals and Window Clings should be available for members shortly.
7. President’s Cup is being held at Loch March Golf & Country Club, 1755 Old Carp Road, on Thursday, September 8th.
8. Reminder to our members firms we are looking for project photos to display on our website, please send some in.
9. When using the nchca.ca website, please take note of the ‘important notes panel’ located to the right of the menu. When there is important information, key edits to content, or other such things that we need to draw your attention towards, we’ll publish a short note/link in this section.