1. On April 30 the NCHCA is hosting a Rock Blasting Seminar at 101 Centrepointe Drive, Ben Franklin Place in the Chambers (1st Floor) 8:30 a.m.-12:00 p.m. All members are welcome to attend this session as well. This presentation covers a thorough overview of the explosive blasting industry. The presentation is designed to provide City of Ottawa personnel with a better grasp on how blasting is safely and effectively used around our city today. The following modules will be covered:
Federal, Provincial and Municipal Regulations – This module addresses the storage, handling and transportation of explosives along touching on Provincial, Federal and Municipal regulations currently governing the use of explosives.
Explosive Products – This module provides a general overview of the various types of explosives used in the construction industry along with the explosive properties that dictate their use.
Blast Operations Site Safety – This module provides the safety basis for a successful blasting operation.
Hazards of Blasting – This module describes the potential risks and hazards of today’s construction blasting.
Blast Design – This module provides a brief overview of blasting mechanics and proper blast design in terms of blast hole layouts and initiation timing.
Blast Vibration and Overpressure – This module explains blast vibrations and overpressures as well as typical human response to these vibrations. The module further touches on proper blast monitoring in order to maintain industry compliance.
Public Relations – This module covers the public’s perception of blasting operations and available measures to alleviate concerns, complaints, and disputes.
2. Our 2012 Board of Directors are:
Goldie Mohr Ltd.
First Vice President
Second Vice President
Clean Water Works Inc.
Ottawa Residential Consultants
Louis W. Bray Construction Limited
M-Con Products Inc.
Terrafix Geosynthetics Inc.
Torus Construction Corporation
Contractors Rental Supply
Cruickshank Construction Company
Colautti Construction Ltd.
K.C.E Construction Ltd.
R.W. Tomlinson Limited
AME Materials Engineering
3. Calendar of our 2012 Events:
Kanata Lakes GC
1299 River Road
Fall Dinner Dance
4. Overall, March 27th Provincial Budget did not have any significant impact on our industry in the region. Funding for infrastructure projects such as Light Rail and work on the 417 were spared, while other infrastructure projects such as capital funding for hospitals have been postponed, or scaled back. There is a delay for some highway expansion and HOV projects across the province, but the province is proceeding with the 407 East extension and 417 HOV lanes. The only potential concern with the budget for Ottawa, and other municipalities, is the vagueness of its promise that the province will keep contributing to major infrastructure projects. There is also nothing specific about continuing to pay for future infrastructure projects except: “The government also remains committed to working with its municipal partners to help ensure the sustainability of core municipal infrastructure.” The Liberals are relying on wage freezes and pension cuts for public sector wages, as well as postponing planned corporate tax reductions to tame the Ontario deficit.
5. In the March 29th Federal Budget, the government reaffirmed its long-term commitment to the renewal of Canada’s aging infrastructure committing $150 million toward the Community Infrastructure Improvement Fund. The reforms promised in the budget regarding the environmental assessment reviews will help reduce delays to major construction projects with its One-Project, One-Review process.
6. 2012 NCHCA Directories and 2011 Accounting Summaries have now been mailed out to all members. If any members required additional copies of the directories, please contact the Association office.
7. NCHCA Industry Decals /Bumper Stickers are still available online for purchase.
8. Our new incoming President, Marty White with Joe Archardi and Mark Van Bree from OSWCA. The Clean Water Works/Heavy Construction Conference and Showcase was well attended by city staff and by our membership. Thank you to Dale Harley and Kyle Peori for organizing successful conference and AGM.
9. OSWCA 2013 convention will be held in Ottawa this upcoming winter.
10. Bursary applications for all member companies and their employees will be available online by the end of May.
11. MOL Blitz Time Table 20123-2013 (Construction Site Blitzes)
New and Young Worker
May – August 2012
Struck by Objects
(hazards associated with traffic control during roadwork)
Tower Cranes / Mobile Cranes
July – August 2012
Supervisory Engagement in Construction
(supervisory responsibilities / training and requirements under Section 14 Reg. 213/91)
September – October 2012
Slips, Trips and Falls
(ladder safety and fall protection hazards)